Search This Blog

Saturday, June 29, 2013

Canned beans vs soaking your own


Ok, let’s talk about beans/legumes of the dried variety! I love vegan/vegetarian food; so beans are a pretty big part of my diet, and I used to be all about canned beans because they were convenient and easy to grab and make something. However, once I began to read labels (which I hope you all do), I realized that this was probably not the best option. Not only are these items exposed to cleaning chemicals, but the “juice” they sit in is full of Calcium Chloride (a preservative), salt, sugar, and other additives for flavor (think along the lines of baked beans). And most recipes call that you should rinse the beans before use anyway…



So, I did a little research into this chemical compound, and I found that it is the salt of Calcium and Chloride and it is pretty prevalent in the manufacturing industry. It’s used as a flavor enhancer, electrolyte agent (this is included in some bottled waters), as well as a preservative. Sounds legit, right?

Well, here’s something to consider: Calcium Chloride was a component of the lethal chemical weapon “Agent Orange” (which was internationally outlawed after the Vietnam War). Is this really safe? It’s FDA approved and what not and the levels are contained within a “safe” parameter. Cool. But who makes this substance?

According to my research, the largest manufacturer of this chemical compound is Dow Chemical Company (over 30% market share). Turns out, this company is a best friend with Monsanto and collaborate to manufacture and design a large quantity of Genetically Modified Organisms. Is this some kind of looped trade that puts the consumer in the middle of their financial jaws? At half of the global consumption rate, North America is the leading buyer of products containing this formula, followed by China and Canada http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/06/14/marketpublishers-idUSnBw145568a+100+BSW20130614  This is a major issue is it not? This is why I choose to soak my own beans and then cook them.

With this as the background, let’s explore the best way to avoid these chemicals. Beans and legumes that are dried tend to expand 150%  so I’ve found that its best to place amount of beans you want (I usually do up the whole bag) in a container and fill with water so that the liquid is twice the volume of the beans. This will probably be about three inches or so.

I would advise to leave the beans soaking overnight, or for at least eight hours. The more they soak, the easier they are to cook. I should also mention that if you are hydrating things, do it in separate containers. A lot of times the color from red or black beans will bleed into the other ones. This results in a mush of color and provides no contrast whatsoever.

After the beans have soaked appropriately, they are ready to be cooked. Strain the remaining liquid from the soaking process. Fill a pot with the beans and enough water to cover the beans by an inch or so of water (you can also use chicken or vegetable stock at this stage for added flavor).
I would plan on cooking them for about  two to four hours depending on the size of your batch. I really like this method as opposed to the canned product because you can really control how much texture you want your product to have. I find that the canned ones are a bit too mushy for my liking.

When I cook the beans, I am able to stop the cooking process when they have reached the desired texture. Play around with cooking times to find the consistency that you like. I prefer them to be soft enough to break apart in your mouth, but firm enough that they won’t turn into hummus after being stirred only a handful of times.

Once the beans are cooked, strain the remaining liquid out and allow the beans to cool. Do not leave the liquid in the pot and continue to cook, or transfer it to another cooking vessel. This will only result in the transfer of the color of the liquid to the next application. So, if you’re cooking black beans and intend on making chili, transferring your cooked beans to another pot with the rest of the ingredients waiting to go will only result in a dark, mucky stew. You are now ready to use chemically free beans in your next adventure!  

Check out these recipes to utilize the beans!

No comments:

Post a Comment