Search This Blog

Friday, July 5, 2013

Blueberry Lemonade Soda

Blueberries are in full swing! I decided to a little easy and light this time around since the last few posts have been kind of complex. Sometimes these delicious berries get a little "sad" looking and not appealing at all, but they are still quite tasty. So here's a recipe you can utilize to get rid of all those wilted looking blueberries.

Besides cooking all the time, I do like venturing into beverages once in a while; and I'd like to talk today about making your own soda. Most soda's you get in the store contain a little less than 10 tsp of sugar per 12oz - that's a lot! I'm not a soda drinker by any measure; I used to be though. I've discovered if you go heavier on the flavor and use fresh ingredients, you don't have to have as much sugar. This recipe cuts sugar in half and uses raw sugar instead of the manufactured/processed white sugar.

As I was able to reflect removing soda from my life, I realized that I drink a lot of seltzer water and club soda because, lets face it - who doesn't like the fizzy bubbles? So, I've been experimenting with different carbonated beverages, or sodas if you will.

The idea of soda is pretty simple to adapt and simplify. It;s really just some kind of simple syrup (I find citrus to be the best thing here) and club soda. However, I like using the flavored seltzer waters for a little extra something-something.

You can add more lemons into this recipe for an extra zip, or even substitute with any single citrus or combination of citrus.

Anyway


Simple Syrup (Lemon)

Ingredients: 

2 cups sugar (raw preferably)
2 cups water
6 lemons (zest and juice)

Directions: 


  1. Zest and juice lemons and put into a pot
  2. Add sugar and water
  3. Bring to a simmer then let cool
  4. Store in refrigeration 


Cool. Now we are ready to make some awesome soda! The method that I'm using here is called muddling but, if you don't like a garnish in your drink. Add a pint of blueberries to the previous recipe to make it a cohesive syrup. Simmer for 15 minutes, and strain.



Blueberry Lemonade Soda

Ingredients: 

3 Tablespoons simple syrup (lemon)
15 Blueberries
12 oz Club soda
16 oz glass
1/2" of crushed ice in the bottom of the glass
Ice cubes

Directions:


  1. Put berries and crushed ice in bottom of glass
  2. If you have a muddler, I suggest you use the back end of a wooden spoon (as shown below)
  3. Crush the berries until there are no more whole berries left. 
  4. Add ice and fill to the top
  5. Add simple syrup
  6. Top off with club soda 

No comments:

Post a Comment