Search This Blog

Monday, October 28, 2013

Breakfast Quinoa - so much better than oatmeal!

I've been on a bit of a breakfast kicker lately! Between the weekend brunch shifts at work, and the 30 pounds of apples I’m trying to utilize from a few weeks ago, I’m really trying to explore different uses for these sweet fruits.

I’m not a huge oatmeal fan by any measure – but that doesn’t mean I don’t appreciate a good bowl when it comes around. One thing I do realize is that I love the sweet and savory aspects of traditional oatmeal; but not the heavy and sticky parts. So how else could I possibly set myself up with something easy to grab in the morning?

I recently came to a compromise and discovered I had already stumbled upon the solution! In one of my previous posts (fall brunch menu) I had a breakfast quinoa on the menu. It occurred to me that I could easily make something super yummy and very quickly since it acts like rice (concerning the cooking process) and it’s a lot fluffier and lighter (with more texture) than oats are.

Quinoa is also a super food, and much better for you than say rolled oats or something like that. Most of your grains don’t possess the fat content, nor omega-3 fatty acid count that this fluffy grain provides. It also serves as a complete protein by itself. You can get more information on quinoa here 

Breakfast Quinoa:


Suggested modifications/substitutions:

  1. Substitute the fruit content with your favorite seasonal fruit or fruit preserve.
  2. Use vanilla/chocolate flavored lacto-free milk such as a nut or soy milk. 
  3. Make a batch of plain (no fruit) so anyone can grab some and add fresh fruit of choice. 
  4. Throw a handful of your favorite nuts in (in the beginning with the apples will result in a nuttier taste with a softer nut after it absorbs liquid, adding in at the end will keep them crunchy). 
  5. Boost your protein by adding some vegan chili or a fried egg. 


Preparation time: 5 minutes

Cooking time: 20 minutes

Ingredients:
1-2 apples (small dice, skin-on)
1 Tablespoon coconut oil or butter
½ tsp cinnamon (fresh ground)
Dash coriander
¼ tsp fennel seed
3 T maple syrup or honey
1 cup quinoa
2 cups whole milk

Directions:
  1. Put medium sized pot on the fire at a medium heat.
  2. Once hot, put in your coconut oil or butter and allow to melt.
  3. Place your apple, cinnamon, coriander, and fennel in the pot and sauté until apples begin to brown.
  4. Pour in your quinoa and stir quickly to coat it in the fat.
  5. Pour in your milk and stir, let cook on medium/low heat until quinoa is soft.
  6. Stir occasionally to check when it’s done.
  7. Serve hot or cold with fresh fruit and honey.



No comments:

Post a Comment